Friday, August 7, 2009

Fabulous French Toast Casserole

Oh my my my! I have some leftover french bread on the counter and this evening I thought to myself, "Woman, you need to make a french toast casserole for breakfast tomorrow!". And so I did. Now, I haven't tasted it yet because it needs to sit in the refrigerator all night but I have a feeling this will be one for the books! I worked really hard to make it as low cal and healthy as possible because my girlfriend Marie and I are going to eat a TON of cheese fondue tomorrow night before we go to see the movie "Julie and Julia" (I CAN'T WAIT!) so I really have to be careful what I eat earlier in the day.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I am super excited.


Fabulous French Toast Casserole
Serves 12

1 loaf whole grain french bread (sliced into 1-1 1/2 in. pieces)
4 eggs, 8 egg whites
2 cups light soy milk
1/2 cup sugar free maple syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8-1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 Splenda
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

1) In a 9 x 13 pan, place sliced bread along the bottom.
2) In a large bowl, whisk eggs and whites. Add sugar, Splenda and cinnamon. Whisk in soy milk, maple syrup, and vanilla until well blended. Pour evenly over bread. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top of the toast. Put in fridge overnight.
3) The next morning, take out the refrigerator and sprinkle pecans over the top. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 until firm.

Calories: 202
Carbs: 29
Fat: 6
Protein: 10
Fiber: 1.5

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm always too lazy to make my breakfast the night before lol. Will hopefully test this out soon!

    ReplyDelete