Friday, August 21, 2009

Shrimp Tacos! Wooo Hoo!

Hi all,
So I got a hankerin' for some shrimp tacos tonight. I grabbed my keys and went to the store. On the way I called my good friend Christina to see if she had any suggestions. She had never made shrimp tacos but told me that fish tacos had shredded cabbage and tartar sauce. The cabbage sounded good but the tartar sauce, not so much for shrimp. I was feeling like something with a lot of kick. Something that was going to make my taste buds do the meringue.
I ran through the store (which is completely torn apart and under construction), searching for the flavors I wanted to include. Wheat tortillas.... yes! Guacamole? Yeah baby! Lime juice? Oh yes I did! Cilantro? Of course! I grabbed some sour cream for the fun of it and all the fixins' to make my guac and before I knew it, I was back at home. Stopping briefly outside to grab myself a large cucumber and a few ripe tomatoes from the vine. What would I do with them? Who knew! I was in the mood for a fiesta!
First, I took the shrimp out of the fridge. Then, I sprinkled it with some lime zest and juice. I was staring at the shrimp, pondering what else to add to it's citrusy lime marinade when suddenly, Jose Cuervo was staring right back at me, daring me to tango! A splash of tequila... well, maybe more than a splash... and on to the guacamole.
Guacamole is my favorite dip of all dips. Fresh and tasty. I mashed the avocado, diced some onion, chopped some cilantro, squeezed some lemon juice, chopped my baby cherry tomatoes and ohhhh freshness! I love it!
Now... sour cream.... what a bore! I stared at my ingredients once more. I added some cilantro, a bit of cumin, lime zest, juice, salt, pepper! Taste.... oh yeah! Now we're talking.
I looked over at my marinating shrimp.. Oh no! The shrimp is cooking with the citrus! Get those babies in that pan! I sauteed some garlic, tossed the shrimp on and watched Mr. Cuervo do his magic... should I light it? No.. I'm afraid... maybe next time. Ok.
I warmed my tortillas, spooned the guac onto them and spread it all around. Then I saw that shredded cabbage and sprinkle it on top of the green goodness. Hmmm... looks like cheese. No cheese here! Oh well! I removed the curled up shrimp from the frying pan and layered them on the cabbage. Last. I took my cilantro, sour cream, cumin... thing! and I drizzled it over the top.
I folded it over and before my eyes lay the most beautiful of all tacos... Oh shoot. I forgot about the cucumber. Hmmm... I sliced it up, trying to make him feel he wasn't an afterthought, and made him into his very own shrimpless taco with all the fixins of the shrimp taco.
John comes upstairs. He has his camera. Quick! I say! Take the picture! It's PERFECT!
John says, "Yum."
About twenty snapshots later John is saddened that the cucumber from our garden is not showing. He lays some on the side of the plate and announces that now everyone will know it's our cucumber... so pretty.
FINALLY we are ready to eat. We take a bite... YES!!!!!!!!!! Day two! I do a little dance in my chair. John is still eating... and then... "This is my favorite meal... ever." OMG. Did you hear that? He then describes to me all the flavors he tastes... "This is my favorite meal... ever". Yes. Y'all. I've done it. I have made the world's greatest shrimp taco. Someone give me a medal. I am the master.
I am about to bestow upon you, the greatest gift you will ever get. All seven of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment